Thursday, 30 March 2017

Busy

I've been very busy, so glad NaMoPaiMo was last month. Going out of state then having people from outer state visiting, I've been running around like a headless chicken. Although I have had a little studio time, still working on my Huck.



And I decided to strip and repaint my Phoenix. I was never happy with the original paint job I did on her and I also wanted to change her face. I have added epoxy to her giving her a less dished profile. Also sanded down her cheeks making them more square. Still more to do so hopefully next week is less crazy.    



Sunday, 5 March 2017

NaMoPaiMo - Continues

While my NaMoPaiMo pony was drying and I was sitting in my chair I got inspired. So many cool ponies on my Facebook feed and helpful people all around really gives you creative impulse. He will be a portrait of my gelding, still along way to go but it's a start! 



Tuesday, 28 February 2017

NaMoPaiMo - I Did It!

She is done! She came out very differently then planned… some girls are so head strong. I still might go back and add some white markings but I’m calling her done.


Thank you so much everyone involved in NaMoPaiMo for inspiration, help and awesomeness. Not only did I get motivated to paint I also sculpted! Sometimes it really does take a village.




Friday, 24 February 2017

NaMoPaiMo - Continues

So after sanding back the old paint, we talked it over and came to the conclusion that liver chestnut would be alright. It’s a color I’ve never painted so fingers crossed it works out.


Wednesday, 22 February 2017

NaMoPaiMo - Struggles

She fought me on becoming a creamy buttery Buckskin every step of the way.


 The photo looks half alright but she was way more orange and muddy in person, not the color I wanted. So I tried to get her more golden but it was an epic fail... 


Now she is green and rough. I will be stripping her and start again... maybe try something new. I wonder if she would like to be liver chestnut?


Tuesday, 21 February 2017

NaMoPaiMo - Progress

Airbrushing is how I get my base coat and basic shading. A few years ago I used cheap acrylic paints but have since found that I love using Tamiya acrylic paint. They are super pigmented and will coat the horse in one round. They dry very quickly, you can go back over areas that need it. I use isoprophyl alcohol 90% to thin them. They are super easy to thin and use, I doubt I will go back to using normal acrylics.

Here she is with some of the airbrushing started: 


Monday, 20 February 2017

NaMoPaiMo - Prep

Prepping! Prepping! Prepping everywhere! Man my first weeks of NaMoPaiMo where prepped full. My girl was full of small bits of epoxy, I don't know what happened... it's like she had fleas. I think I primed her like 4 times before I was happy. But a good prep job is a must! Always take your time and prep right.

Now my official entry said dark bay pinto but I do want to try a buckskin pinto. I did this because I'm probably going to mess up and cover it up by going darker lol go me with the confidence!